Monday, June 11, 2012

MAN IT WAS SWEET!!!

Dear family,

Welll.... you guys had a super bomb time in California it sounds like! I need to know if those California club teams were pretty good? Did Collin’s team still trash them? Haha.. my favorite story was about Ava getting small ears. Jared that little punk and his small ears. :) I could totally see him doing that, and after showing me his ears I think I would be convinced too. Dad didn't write me but that’s okay... Not a whole lot of people do :)
(He did write him…he was just a little late.)
This week though….my goodness….was soooo eventful!

Monday was kinda a bummer p-day. We wasted a lot of time because I had to go to Independence to go get signatures from the radiologist and get everything mailed away and stuff. However, we did play rugby and it was a ton of fun! I love it! It is pretty fun playing with people that are experienced and know what they are doing (we have a pretty athletic zone) and Elder Felila coaches us. He is going to play rugby for France after he is done with his mission.

Tuesday: Nothing tooo special happened so I won’t mention much.

WEDNESDAY: However, Wednesday was NUTS... K so you remember how last week I was just superdy duper bummed out about Mindy and Alexa??? Well, I've been praying HARD CORE. You’re right mom…the Lord’s not given up so neither am I. Anyways, we went over to this “Elderly” home just across the street from Mindy's to go offer service and find an eagle project idea for a guy named Cameron who we’re trying to help motivate get his eagle. (He and his family aren't members but they will let the missionaries come over whenever they want, and oh yeah, this kid turns 18 at the end of the month. I bore my testimony that it is possible to get it done in a month ;)) Anyways though…back to the elderly home….we tried getting inside but the place is always on lockdown and you need someone to buzz you in like a resident. Anyways, after we realized we couldn't get in, I started heading towards the car and Elder Taylor asked if we should go try Mindy's. I was bummed out because they hadn't answered calls, texts, or the door for the past few days.  In my discouragement I said, “I don’t know”.  After some encouragement, we turned around and knocked on the door a couple times... no answer. I prayed again in the car with my heart slowly sinking. Anyways the phone rang and it was a member offering to feed us that night (Brother Dinneny). I started talking to him and after 2 minutes a car passes and then turns around and pulls up to our car.  It was MINDY’S MOM (Grandma Kim)!!! I pretty much just hung up on Brother Dinneny. Anyways, it turned out Mindy went to prison and Mindy’s old ex boyfriend came back and kicked them out of the house. A big series of events happened, but the scariest part was that gGrandma Kim asked us to go pound on the door and talk some sense into Greg, the (need I remind you) 350 pound ex UFC fighter whose fists are registered as weapons. We obeyed. Long story short…I KNEW that somehow, someway the Lord had His hand in everything that went down and I’m sorry I don’t really know how to express this story in full detail, but I definitely feel the same exact way Nephi did in 2nd Nephi 33:3. (GO READ IT!) I’m still not sure how it’s all going to turn out still, but I have faith. :) THEY WILL BE BAPTIZED!!!

Also still on Wednesday, we met with Tabitha and Mike again. I dont know if you remember them??? Anyways, we had a sweet lesson re-teaching the restoration and really focusing on priesthood authority! Halfway through though I stopped right before teaching about Joseph Smith (again) and started talking about Mathew 16:19 and the priesthood to seal ETERNAL families in the temple. I gave them a picture and they started to hold hands as we discussed further. :) MAN IT WAS SWEET! Oh and I forgot to mention they are a family of 6!!! MONEY!!! The 4 kids are still in Ohio but they will be back after the summer.

Thursday:  We have been taking a lot of priests out with us and we even go to priest quorum on Sundays! Anyways, we took out a guy named Jacob Arnett and we had a sweet day! Remember the elderly home you need someone to buzz you in? We befriended a lady who lives there and hates the management and have taught her a couple times. Anyways she secret agent style buzzed us in and we were able to sneak attack an investigator who kept putting us off. We had a sweet lesson with him and even got him to church on Sunday! Oh yeah his name is Bob Lamb and he is 70.  Anyways, Jacob was super pumped and excited cuz I’m serious it was just an all around adrenaline rush sneaking in, actually getting let in by Bob, and then TEACHING WITH DA SPIRIT! After we left we were just super pumped. We worked for another hour or so and then 10 minutes before Jacob had to be home we had to go reward him his blessings (McDonald’s ice cream cone or frosties…my super strategy for encouraging priests to come out). We tried to get dipped chocolate cones but they failed big time so I just offered to take 3 cherry berry smoothies instead which were twice as expensive. They obliged! I also managed to grab 1 of the dipped cones they happened to do right before they threw it away. On our way out to the car I said "Jacob See?! Missionary work earns you blessings!"

Friday we did exchanges! I went to go work with Elder Taufa again in his area! It was sooo much fun! It was hilarious too! Some of the members we visited we told them that one of the Elders had left (he was going to be aspecial assignment missionary). Their eyes would light up smile and say really?! Haha at the Vances they have 3 little girls and 1 boy. We went to their house at the very end of the day to eat ice cream with them and they all remembered me because I played tag with them last time we exchanged over. Elder Taufa told them the same thing and all of them were sooo excited it made me feel bad. When we were about to leave all the girls were telling me "please don’t go!" They were such a sweet family. I’m gonna miss them.

This is kinda long... but this week WAS AWESOME! Elder Taylor and I got a ton of work done and had a lot of success. We had a lot of people at church and I loved spending Sunday with the priest quorum sharing insights and stuff with the lesson. It made me feel more at home like I was in our own priest quorum. The young men’s president loves us and we’re defintely building a great relationship with the ward.

BE good, enjoy Arizona… oh you gotta tell me how hot is it there now?

Love,
Elder Ward

p.s. I forgot a story…there was a crazy storm last night with lightning and thunder that shook the house!!! It woke me and Elder Taylor up at 3 in the morning and we watched it for awhile because the lightning was hitting the ground a ton! It was crazy!


No comments:

Post a Comment